Sunday, April 10, 2011

National Poetry Month - Day 10: Kathleen Ossip

Kathleen Ossip is the author of The Search Engine (American Poetry Review, 2002) and Cinephrastics (Horse Less Press, 2006). Her new collection, The Cold War, will be published by in May, 2011 by Sarabande Books.

This short essay that appeared in Publishers Weekly in the last week of March brought Ossip back into my consciousness - I'd read The Search Engine years ago after smiling at the title (I could have sworn it was Charles Bernstein not Derek Walcott who selected the book for the APR/Honickman First Book Prize (The Search Engine was the fifth book to receive that honor). So goes my memory.) I also have a copy of Cinephrastics somewhere in my house. While writing this blog entry, it just occured to me where that book is probably hiding. So here's a short poem from K.O., from The Search Engine, and I'm off to find that missing book.


1970

Zish-zish
goes the gibbous
insect. They bring the lawn
in rolls. Now is what I have, or
will get.

No comments:

Post a Comment